Friday, September 25, 2015

Dear Readers!
Unfortunately I did not have time to bring new stories on this blog of mine. But while you are waiting, enjoy this re-translation of Arthur Rimbaud's poem. I re-translated it since I felt the other interpretations of such talent was too distant from the original, which of course can only be fully enjoyed in French. Nonetheless I tried to be more accurate while keeping the rules of sonnet.
So exceptionally let us play on the strings of lyre:

Ma bohème

I went, held my hands in ragged pockets as gloves;
My shoulder's coat wore into a notion;
Journeyed below the sky, Muse! showed you devotion;
Oh, la la! And I dreamed of majestic loves!

My sole trousers were richer with a hole
-Dreaming Hop-o'-My-Thumb, on my way I husked rhymes
Great Bear was my lodge in the forest of nighttimes.
-Meanwhile the stars above my skull they roll

I listened to their rumbles on banks of the roads
during evenings of September when droplet loads
of dew fell on my face like divine wine;

Amongst the fantastic penumbras rhymes I graced,
And I strummed my wounded boots' lyrical lithe lace
that hummed at the foot of this heart of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment